I may be a twin but I'm one of a kind. ~ Author Unknown


Have you ever heard of womb twin survivors?  The topic fascinates me because I am one, and I took a test this morning.  The results didn't surprise me.  The questions touched on every emotion I've felt through the years, knowing this about myself.  When I was born I was big and healthy, over 9 pounds.  There was another placenta, though.  The doctor told my mother the other baby had died early on in the pregnancy.

These are the results of my test:

You got: Almost certainly.
You have responded positively to so many of these statements that you are almost certainly a womb twin survivor. 

"A womb twin survivor is the sole survivor of a twin or multiple conception where one twin died during the pregnancy or around birth. A "twinless twin" or "lone twin" is the sole survivor of a twin or multiple birth, where both twins lived for a time - either a few days or many years - but one twin died." 
 
There is a lot of guilt, being a twin womb survivor.  I mean, I was such a healthy, robust baby...did that have something to do with why my twin didn't survive? Did I hog all the nutrition in the womb? And of course there's the "Why my twin?  Why not me?" question you struggle with.

I don't know how much this has affected my personality through the years.  I know I've most definitely felt like a major part of me is missing, and sometimes I find myself yearning for...someone.  But that isn't a here-and-now-person-in-my-life yearning.  It's a deep sense of alone-ness.  Not loneliness.  

Obviously, with there being an extra placenta, we wouldn't have been identical twins. But we shared the same space for a short while, listened to the same heartbeat of our mother.  I don't know how I can miss someone as much as I miss this part of me, but I do.

I am a Christian and I have a strong belief in eternity.  I have a strong belief that every soul that has had even a second of time on this earth went to heaven when they died, or their lives were taken.  I believe that.  I do.

And that is why I look forward to being reunited with my missing twin.  I hope he or she is standing there waiting to welcome me home.  That goes for my miscarried baby as well...two people, actually, that have left a very deep void in me.

I don't talk about either very often.  In fact, very rarely.  It's just my own private grief, lodged in my heart to bear.
.



Comments

  1. Solid childhood memories are hard to deny. I have feelings for a missing sibling. When younger, I asked aunts and uncles if they knew of any children, miscarriages, or pregnancy by my mother. No one would even respond... Not a yes - no - maybe! Curiosity dwindled so I never asked again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvis Presley was a twin survivor. His brother Jesse died at birth. Elvis was often quoted as saying that he felt haunted by the presence of Jesse and felt him close by at times. He also said he felt driven to succeed for both himself and Jesse— a legacy of sorts. I’ve always found the subject of twin studies fascinating! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Arkansas Angela

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts