Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~ Leroy "Satchel" Paige

I'd say the most frustrating thing about growing older is the frequency of "senior moments".  I have a lot of them.  I open the pantry door and I can't remember why I came over to look inside it.  I totally zoned my appointment with my chiropractor Wednesday morning, and didn't realize I had until I was walking past the calendar and saw "Chiro" written there on the day's date, plain as day.  That was around 2 pm and my appointment was for 9.

Well, oooooops!  What more can I say?  Thankfully it was his voice mail that answered and I could just stumble and bumble all over myself apologizing to dead air.

I hate moments like that.  Once upon a time I had a very sharp mind.  I had an office job in the 1980's where I had over 200 6-digit inventory numbers of the most popular items we sold right there in my head.  Other employees were always calling out to me, "Hey, Kris...what's the number for..." and I didn't even think about it.  It was right there.  Gone are those days for certain sure.  My husband can remember what happened on August 14th, 1977...but when I opened the refrigerator the other morning his little bottle of Bayer aspirin was sitting on the shelf by the bottled water.  Ha, we had a good laugh over that one.

They say if you know you're forgetful you don't have the early stages of Alzheimer's or dementia but I don't know if that's true or not.  I'm just thankful I know where the Keurig is when I get up in the morning, and where the bed is at night.  That constitutes a pretty good day of recall.

I love the Pulitzer Prize winning author Anna Quindlen and have read most of her books.  One that is a favorite of mine is one she wrote when she was turning 60 called "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake".  When she became concerned about how many senior moments she was having she went to see her doctor, terrified she was getting Alzheimer's.  I loved what her doctor's response was.  She told Anna, "Think of your mind as a file cabinet, all new and empty at birth.  Every experience and thought you have gets filed away in it.  Then comes the point in life where you find yourself forgetting things.  Your file cabinet is jam-packed, filled to overflowing, and somewhere in one of those too-full drawers is your memory just waiting to be pulled out to the front of your mind."  I'm paraphrasing because it's been a long time since I've read it, but that pretty much says what the doctor said.  The memory isn't lost...it's just...stuck.  Oh, how I love Google and its ability to find just about anything with just a few keywords typed in.  Many is the time when my husband and I are watching TV or hear a song in a restaurant and the name of an actor or singer escapes us.  It doesn't escape Google.  Type in "Who sang 'Wild Thing', and BAM!  There it is...the Troggs.

That makes my heart sing.

With Google on my side...hey, life is good.

Comments

  1. I have alot of those moments myself and since I am older than you, HAHA, I have been having them longer. It is scary and yes I have talked my doctor also. Google has been a life saver in our household too. No more arguing on names of stars, singers or songs. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts