The years teach much which the days never knew. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh, if only I'd had the wisdom at 23 that I now have at 63. Now, in hindsight, I would've taken a little more time for everything, really.

I would have taken more time to grasp my babies' toes and kiss them, to blow on their bellies and make farting noises that entertained them to no end.

I would have fretted less about the small stuff.  I mean, how much of the things I worried about endlessly even happened?  There was always food on our table, a roof over our heads.

I would have hugged more, kissed more, told a lot of people I loved them more.  I would have looked at them more.  Listened to them more.  Been less distracted by the busyness of life.

I would have cried more.  Spent less time bottling up my emotions because I was taught tears were a sign of weakness.  Tears are cleansing to the heart and soul.  I know that now.

I would have laughed more.  I would have focused more on the lighter side of life. I think my husband and I laugh more together now than we ever have.  Laughter, as you're getting older, is a great antidote for dealing with the frustrations of minds and bodies that refuse to cooperate like they used to.  It would have been a great antidote in our younger years, too, but back then we were ladened down with the responsibilities of life.

I would have taken more time to help people when I saw the need, instead of hurrying past and chasing after my own agenda, figuring "someone else will do it."  Really?

Would have...could have...should have.

Youth is such a selfish time in life.

But you don't realize it until it's passed.

Comments

Popular Posts